Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Suburban Girl's Top 5 :: Pampering

The script is the same, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, or fierce-hood: We are all young, therefore we are all overworked and underpaid. To be clear, I'm not entirely bitter or angry at this idea. It's just the nature of the beast as young and eager people living in New York City.

Aside from living in "The City That Never Sleeps", I strongly believe New Yorkers as a whole are possibly the most overworked population in the world. They thrive off of busyness and sacrifice vacations (even STAYcations!) for fear of not knowing what to do when they aren't in the work place.

I can't even understand this concept and I feel fine about that. Instead of trying to adjust myself to that mentality, I felt it necessary to come up with a number of "sanity savers" (yes, that is an official medical term). As I've had to practice some of them since moving to NYC, I figured what better time than now to bring you the second installment of The Suburban Girl's Guide to Getting By in the City :: Pampering.


1. Shobha
After a long day at Fashion Week, I decided to treat myself. I usually get my eyebrows threaded at this little hole in the wall place in Astoria. It's half a block from my train, the women are surly, and a good eyebrow threading costs $8 with tip. However this day, I needed to be coddled. I found myself drifting into Shobah Columbus Circle for the most incredible and relaxing eyebrow threading of my entire life. Between the lotions, the temple massage, and the surprisingly gentle motions of the threading, I nearly passed out. Well worth the $20 price tag for a much deserved treat after a hard day's work.

2. The Townhouse Spa
I found myself at the Townhouse Spa for an event my company was producing. One of the amazing perks of being a favored intern at the time was that my supervisor allowed me to treat myself to the same amenities as the guests coming to my event. After a spa manicure, I went into the spa area for a facial that literally changed my life. It had been my first, and certainly would never be my last. Now, whenever anyone asks for spa recommendations, the Townhouse Spa is always the first one out of my mouth.

3. My Hair Salon
Let me preface this with noting that my hair salon is NOT NEARLY the most relaxing of places. However, there is nothing like having someone else shampoo your hair.

4. My Nail Salon
Spa manicure and pedicure please with a side of trashy magazines and headphones in both ears. Thank you and goodnight. Also, nothing makes me feel more like a loved customer with the chorus of women singing "hello!!" and "thank you, goodbye!" with my entrance and exit.

5. My Bedroom
Get your mind out the gutter, kids. My bedroom is my thing. It's my safe haven, it's my security blanket, it's where I go to feel like I'm home (like, Boston home). After a particularly trying day, I love to rush home, close myself up in my room, turn on some Sade or Erykah Badu, light a candle, and paint my nails. I don't know. It's just my thing.

What about you? Do you have any special "sanity savers"?

0 notes:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...