Thursday, November 11, 2010

11:11

A tweet by dear friend, Carolina, of United States of Mascara
While catching up on old issues of Glamour Magazine, I came across an article in the October 2010 issue entitled 8 Things You Need to Know About... You by Wendy Shanker. The article, which doesn't depart very far from the fluffiness I love about Glamour Magazine, touches on 8 great points. They vary from health issues, to personal well being, to money management; but my favorite was #8:
A go-to wish for anytime you're near a fountain, about to blow out candles or see 11:11 on a clock. 
It's true. 11:11 rolls around and everyone closes their eyes to prep for a wish. I've been participating in this routine for as long as I can remember. Slumber parties with girl friends meant we had to stay up until 11:11pm to make a wish! Then (despite the fact that if you tell someone your wish, it will never come true) we would tell our wishes to each other before finally going to sleep.

Back then, the wishes were silly. My favorite memories include the following standard wishes:

  • A pair of Adidas Sambas
  • A new L.L. Bean backpack with my initials embroidered on it
  • My first kiss
  • A slow dance at the school dance with the school heart throb
  • A later curfew

Clearly, these are all life changing wishes for someone in middle and high school. When I grew up, so did my wishes. They seem to align more with the author's, who notes the following:

My wish list? The continued stability of my health, for which I am so grateful; the possibility of starting a family on my own; another Madonna tour; a constant flow of funny things to write about (and people to pay me to do it); and most of all, an appreciation of what life serves up every day.
I love the cheeky addition of the Madonna tour wish, but stay aligned with the rest. 

My go-to wish? Since about my sophomore year in college, it's been the same thing: "happiness." Because you really can't go wrong with that, can you? 


0 notes:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...