Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Help

Sometimes, I have a very hard time explaining to friends what makes something so incredible to me. For example, when a friend told me she couldn't get through a book I practically forced her to read, I simply exclaimed, "well then you're reading it wrong!" Clearly. What else could be the problem?

[via]
However, in the same conversation, we discussed The Help, which none of my friends were having trouble reading. I must admit, the book caught my eye back in 2009 when Sarah Jessica Parker (the love of my life) was spotted around New York City with the book in tow.
I'll spare you the length of an actual book review, because by now, you should know that the Kathryn Stockett novel is a #1 New York Times Bestseller, critically acclaimed by newspapers, magazines, celebrities, and authors alike.

The book is set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960's, the story takes readers on a journey through the eyes of three narrators. Two of which are Black maids for White households, the third is a White woman who decides to tell their story. For a full synopsis of the book, check out Stockett's website here. If you're one of those people who don't actually read books, well then I feel sorry for you. But - all is not lost. The excitement and following of The Help has lead to a major movie deal! Hitting theatres this August, people are eager and excited for the novel to hit the big screen.

Demetria Lucas of A Belle in Brooklyn had the opportunity to see an advance screening of the film, which left her feeling a number of feelings, some bad and others good. Lucas brings up a good point that there are some undeniable feelings behind the fact that his is a book is a depiction of the Black struggle of the 1960's by a White woman. Additionally, Stockett now faces a lawsuit filed by Ablene Cooper, who says Stockett based her main character, Aibileen Clark, on her. Nothing like a good lawsuit to continue garnering press for an already good thing.

Back to the point: I can't wait to see the movie! Check out the trailer below, and photos from the film, all courtesy of DreamWorks.





Directed by Tate Taylor, The Help boasts a cast including Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard, Mary Steenburgen, Sissy Spacek, Octavia Spencer, and, my favorite, Viola Davis as Aibileen Clark. It's sure to be one of those tear you down and build you up feel good movies - I can tell by the trailer.

[DreamWorks]  

Have you read or plan on reading the help? If not, will I see you at the movies?


0 notes:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...