Thursday, July 22, 2010

Suburban Girl Laments: The Dating Game

I entered Boqueria on 19th & 6 eager and excited for dinner and sangria with my girlfriends. We all raised an eyebrow at the table the waitress brought us to - sitting the three of us at the head of a table for 8. As the table slowly filled up with other parties we did our best to politely ignore the people next to us. It was a slightly strange concept: enjoying "intimate family style dining" in a city that prefers to leave intimacy for the bedroom.

The last two seats (directly next to us) were filled two more twenty-something women. I felt an odd fondness towards them as they tried to figure out what to order.
"Should we get the potato fritters or is that too much starch?" One would ask, all smiles.
"How about the Rose Sangria? Is a pitcher too much alcohol?" The other would counter and dissolve into giggles. My girls and I all smiled at each other - our motto once again proven that you can never trust a girl without girlfriends.


As I fell into my meal with my girls, we revolved around the usual topics of general nonsense. We spent the time crouched together in a tight triangle of three whispering, gasping, and laughing. We relived stories from college, collapsing into giggles and covering our eyes in horror for extra emphasis.

A lull in our conversation left a wide open space for an exclamation from the girls next door: "WHY are we still single? WHERE can we go to find boyfriends before the summer is over!?"

I couldn't help but smile at the idea that "man" is the universal language of women everywhere. Of course there are a number of other things that I would think women across the world can connect on (you know, politics, shoes, health care, etc) besides men; but, no matter what, it is the topic we always seem to come back to. That said, I can't help but be continuously intrigued and interested in the battle of dating.

Yes, battle.

In fact, I share the sentiment exclaimed by our twenty-something counterparts. I find the idea of dating an incredibly daunting task. It completely exhausts me! Dating conjures feelings of anxiety and stress, rather than the jittery excitement it should create... (similar to the feeling one gets when buying her first Louis Vuitton).

My mother says this is because I am too picky. Hmph.

But can you really blame me when meeting a guy at a bar results in a one night stand and waking up in last night's mascara? When online dating results in receiving emails from the illiterati (yes, it's my new term) and the 60 year old men looking for someone to bring in a little "youthful fun"? When walking down a New York street seems to be reason enough for men of all ages to wink and make kissing noises in your ear as if this is normal behavior? When blind dates never, ever seem to end in a happily ever after?

Ugh, its all so exhausting just to think about. I yearn for the day that I find a hot English bloke waiting for me on my doorstep a la The Holiday. Until then, I'll continue to carry on the "where is my boyfriend" conversation that women across the world are having over cocktails.

0 notes:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...