Friday, July 30, 2010

Suburban Girl Laments: Escaping the City

It must be clear now that I am not a native New Yorker. Prior to moving here, I had absolutely no desire to even entertain the idea of setting down roots. In fact, I believe the words I used to use were along the lines of "I could NEVER.EVER live in a city like New York". Well, now here I am, working my way into my 3rd year in the city.

[via]


Do I love it?
No.

Do I hate it?
Not always.

What I just can't understand is the constant need to get out of the city. And not just my need, but everyone's. Why do we flock to cities we need to take a break from? Why do we relish weekends like the 4th of July, when everyone escapes and the city is quiet? I guess I thought the point of living in NY revolved around the hustle and bustle of the city.

Anyway, point is - I have yet to embrace this city. There are things I know I'll never find anywhere else - the opportunities afforded to me in this city are beyond words. Being a part of the fashion, the decadence, the luxury - it's been incredible. But for now - I just can't wait to begin my week of vacation.

I'll be enjoying things like nature and writing with a freshly brewed cup of coffee made by mom while the rest of you are working away tirelessly in NYC. Enjoy - I know I will!

[via]

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to go to NY. I'm a city girl and I think I will always be one. I can't live without the hustle and bustle, my parents live out in the countryside in England so when I go back to stay with them I miss London so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...